Monday, November 26, 2012

DIY Baby Beach Boxes!!

I have been itching to get at some Christmas craft, however life seems to have different plans and this week cuddling a sick baby is on the agenda. Poor little Peanut has been very sick since her birthday. So there has been a whole lot of cuddling and very little of anything else being done in our house.

I thought I would post a little something I did a few weeks ago.
In early October we took a family trip to Melbourne to catch up with friends and do a bit of sightseeing.
It has always been on my bucket-list to go down to Brighton and see the Beach Boxes so when we had a spare half day I persuaded my little family to jump on the train with me and head down.










I was so glad we did. They were so cute and we spent ages going from box to box checking out the colours, picking out our favourites, taking photos and chatting to locals.
If you are ever in Melbourne and have a few hours to spare I can recommend packing some sandwiches and taking the kids down.








When we got back I was doing a bit of cleaning and was about to throw some cardboard boxes in the recycling bin when Peanut started climbing in them. So when she went down for a nap I decided to turn them into her own set of cubby houses inspired by the beach boxes.




You can get some great coloured Duct tape these days. It makes them look fun but you certainly don't need to do that step.




I cut out some holes in the sides. Her favourite thing to do at the moment is post things!!!




Dodgy Duct tape job. Eeek!! Don't look too closely.




They certainly are not fancy and took about an hour to make (most of this time was spent with the duct tape). But they are quite cute and she loves them.

I deliberately didn't make them too flash because I knew they would get trashed pretty quickly but we are 3 or 4 weeks later and they are still going strong.

I put different toys in them every day to keep things fun and they are so easy to move around so we have them both indoors and outdoors.

If you have some spare boxes at home think twice before throwing them out. Kids LOVE playing with them. Older kids can create just about anything, Castles, Submarines, shops. There is no stopping their imagination!!!

1 comment:

  1. A very good reminder that littlies often enjoy the wrappings better tha the presents!!!

    ReplyDelete